Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Call in the Big Show

So my decision with the call-in project was where to call. This was the easiest part. The only kind of call-in show I am really interested in is sports. Given that there no longer is a local sports show that I receive, and I have no interest in Those Idiots On Fox, as I call them, that leaves WEEI.
My first plan was to call them last weekend, because I figured I would have an easier time getting on the air, but their coverage of the NCAA Men’s Basketball tournament on Saturday, and the Red Sox spring training game on Sunday neatly covered all of the possible hours I was able to call in.

My next plan was to call in during Planet Mikey, figuring that he has a long show with far fewer callers and listeners than the daytime shows. On Monday, they had a Celtics game, but I was glad to see that Tuesday night he would have a full show.

On a whim, I decided to try the Big Show on Tuesday. I figured I wouldn’t get on, but I might gain some experience with the call screener that I could write about and could help with Planet Mikey later. And if I did get on, it would be really cool to be on a major drive time show with millions of listeners.

I called at 3:30, driving home after picking up my daughter at her school, and the call screener answered right away. I told him I wanted to weigh in on the topic of bad officiating in the NBA, Tommy Heinsohn’s complaining about them and whether there is a conspiracy against the Celtics by the refs. I said that the Celtics are not being targeted, any city you go into the sports talk callers and team color announcers are saying the same thing: “our team is being robbed”. I also said that Tommy Heinson is continuing a tradition that dates back to Johnny Most in Boston of having announcers who call the game with green glasses. He asked if I thought this is good or bad. I said it is more a case of the way it is. He told me to turn down my radio and listen on the phone.

I was on hold less than two minutes while the Big O wrapped with up the previous caller, reintroduced the topic, and said “Bart in Greenfield, you’re next.”  I heard a static "pfffft" sound and I was on the air.

I could hear ok on my bluetooth headset, but after a bit I was sorry I wasn't on a land line. I had trouble hearing well enough to tell when I should keep talking and when I should pause and let them respond. As I turned onto route 116, I decided to pull over because the wind noise would have been too loud at 55 MPH.

I told them the same things I said to the screener about officials, Heinsohn, and conspiracy. We had a back and forth about whether the officials have gotten worse. We agreed that it is not work, but the technology and increased scrutiny now just make it seem worse. When the Big O mentioned how everyone complained about Jake O'Donnell I chimed in about how Johnny Most used to say "Jake O'Donnell should be shot!". I asked them if they thought that the NBA was worse than other pro sports. I mentioned that there had been some high profile errors in baseball in recent years. Big O went on about how baseball is different because the rules change from game to game due to umpires having varying strike zones. Michael picked up on my statement about "high profile errors", saying that strike zones didn't have anything to do with Jim Joyce ruining that perfect game. To which I said, "A blind man can make that call."

Overall, I felt I didn't embarrass myself too badly. My main regret with getting on the Big Show is I didn't have the opportunity to record it in the car as I would have if I would have calling Planet Mikey from home. Luckily my daughter didn't feel the need to join in. Not sure what the hosts would have made of her observations about the play Annie.

No comments:

Post a Comment