Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wiki world

Having just seen the Pogues March 12th in Boston, I thought it would be fun to update the Pogues page on Wikipedia.

I also have been a big fan of my Thursday Night Baseball teammate Justine Siegal's efforts to throw batting practice to six different Major League Baseball teams, so decided to edit the Women's Baseball page to include her info.

Overall I found Wikipedia easy and intuitive to use, very similar to Blogger. Most functions (adding links, references) I could figure out myself. Stuff I couldn't figure out was easy enough to find in the help sections.

On the Pogues page, in the reunion section, I deleted the final sentence which referred to the March 2011 U.S. tour in the future tense and started a new paragraph . The tour just ended St. Patrick's Day in New York, so I wrote that the Pogues played a six city, ten show tour with a link to the tour dates, and provided the set list.

For the Women's Baseball page, I added Justine's batting practice info to a timeline on the page. I also made minor changes to two other entries that were outdated.


I spent a while looking around the web for good sources to use for citations, figuring that solid references would make my contributions more likely to stay up.

Once I had the references lined up and the segments written, it was easy and quick to type in my contributions. Both were accepted and both have stayed up without modification. This isn't surprising with the Women's Baseball page, as it seems like no one has been paying much attention to it. But with the excitement around what is the likely to be the final Pogues U.S. tour, I thought someone might modify, correct or add to my contirbution. But so far, it is still there, unchanged.

No comments:

Post a Comment