Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Letters to the Globe

The first letter to the editor that grabbed my attention in today's Globe was one titled:
Archdiocese unwavering in its commitment to aid survivors of abuse  
I was immediately intrigued because I thought, "I've never heard that before". Definitely a "man-bites-dog" story.

In addition to being a letter stating the opposite of what I've always understood about the situation, it is a topic that to me is one of the more important and compelling stories in recent history. The catastrophic failings of the people running the Catholic Church to do the right thing is just amazing to me. It would be even if Monsanto had behaved so immorally. The fact it was a church who, in theory, should have a higher calling to morality, but chose to cover up these crimes to avoid embarrassment (nice job there, by the way) at a cost of incalculable human suffering is just incomprehensible.

As I read it, it became clear why it was the letter was stating the opposite of what I would expect on the topic: it was being written by an employee of the Archdiocese of Boston.
My understanding that the reality of the situation is far different that what she was saying in her letter was validated by the comments, two of them from abuse survivors.

The second letter that caught my eye had the headline Show a little backbone.
I was captivated because under the headline on the Letters to the Editor page was the first three words of his letter: "I AM 16." The letter delivered on that promise. It was entertaining to read a sixteen year-old responding to the an overblown op-ed piece and totally deflating it. Scot Lehigh’s tired "kids these days..." message, which began with a reference to 15th century French poet Francois Villon was insufferable. I wonder how he feels to be out done by a high school student.

1 comment:

  1. I love that second letter, too, Bart, including the pun-tastic headline!

    I wonder if the teenager wrote it -- or the Globe copy desk.


    ---Scott

    ReplyDelete