Saturday, April 2, 2011

Flickr

Did the Going Deaf For A Fortnight pictures on Filckr tell a story?

The Goods
Not really, and it's too bad. Just a repetitive set of band pictures. You almost never get to see any context. He could have used some pictures to set the scene, show me who was in the audience, etc.

Setlist and Beer
rare context photo
The set was taken over fourteen days of concerts. According to Pete Ashton's page:

"From November 4th to November 17th 2005 I went to a gig every night in Birmingham (England). That's 14 gigs. I took photos and wrote long reviews."

The downside is the photos fail to take advantage of the storytelling abilities of pictures. You don't get a feel for the people in the audience, the neighborhood, the interior of the club.

He could have taken pictures of the bar, the sign listing that night's bands and start time.

Is the club crowded or nearly empty? Was there a line for the bathroom? Does the place sell food? Is the audience young, old, hip nerdy? Are they dancing or sitting at tables? Wildly enthusiastic or unimpressed? 

We never find out.

All we get is photo
The Klopeks

After photo
After photo
All My Souls
Of bands on stage. 

That said, it looked like a very interesting set of concerts over two weeks, with a wide variety of acts. 
Polysics


The strength of this series is it does tell a story insofar as you get a feel for how it must have been to got to these shows night after night hearing all these different bands. The sheer volume of pictures reminds me of when I used to be able to go to concerts all the time. Especially when I was working in the business so I didn't have to pay, I would often go out night after night to see bands, even if I hadn't heard of them. I haven't read any of the reviews, it might be interesting to get some context. But I didn't on purpose for this assignment, as I needed to judge the photos on their own as a story telling platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment