Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Reddit

I have found many very cool, interesting interactive places on the web this semester.

Reddit was not one of those. I found the layout confusing and uninteresting. It was as much of a jumble as 4chan, only without the pictures, just a set of links. The categories weren't much help either. I found out the "trees" category is for weed smokers, from my brief look there you would have to be high to find any of it funny.
I dug around, clicking on things that seemed interesting. I made some comments.

After a while, I tried to submit some links, but all of them had already been submitted. So I'm thinking what's the point? If I have to find something so obscure that no one has already submitted it, no one will want to read it.

I finally found something worth reading. In the AskReddit section, I found a funny discussion about what unrealistic scene in a movie has bothered you the most?
There were lots of hilarious comments. For example:

[–]QuayleSpotting 917 points 1 day ago

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Grandpa Joe secretly gives Charlie a chocolate bar, hoping it will have the golden ticket. It doesn't, but we're supposed to see it as a touching gesture on Joe's part. Bullshit. Joe supposedly can't walk until the "miracle" of the golden ticket gets his lazy ass out of bed. So how did he get that chocolate bar? He apparently knows exactly 5 other human beings, 3 of whom are confined to bed, 1 of whom is his daughter that disapproves of getting Charlie's hopes up, and the last is Charlie. Who the fuck bought that candy bar?

[–]SupermarketSweep 399 points 1 day ago

Yes, yes! i freakin' hate Grandpa Joe in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. Charlie's poor mother had to work her ass off because these old douches supposedly couldn't take care of themselves, but once it's time to go visit an awesome chocolate factory all of a sudden Grandpa Joe is full of piss and vinegar! If I were Charlie's mom I would have knocked that old man on his ass and told him he could make his own damn cabbage soup from now on.

I commented:
"Twister. Pretty much the whole thing, but especially that whole barns are being reduced to millions of tiny splinters, and no one gets anything in their eye the whole movie."

I did finally submit a link successfully, about the Red Sox catcher having just had a baby that they haven't named yet. I gave it the headline
Red Sox Saltalamacchia adds "baby to be named later" to line up.


So far, none of my comments or posts has more than 1 point. In fact, I haven't seen any evidence that anyone has looked at any of my content, except for my comment on "can someone create a video of cats rapping salt n peppa", to which I responded "no". I started with one point, then was down to 0. I guess someone didn't think I was funny. Glad to see a few hours later I was back up to 2. But it went back down to -1 and has been back an forth from there to 0 several times. Someone finally did the video, tell me I wasn't right. I mean, technically I was wrong, someone did create the video, but I was saying they shouldn't. I think the results speak for themselves.

Maybe I am out of my element. It seems clear this site is not for me.
I might enjoy it more if I spent more time learning more how it works, what the culture is like.
But I have no interest in doing so. I would rather spend time reading Twitter, looking at photos on Pictory or most anything else with my limited time on the web. Like having lots of frequent flier miles, taking the time to learn the Jim Rome-like lingo of Reddit would be an indication I have spent way too much time doing something I don't want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment