Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Yelp

The Haven was my choice for the first Yelp review. I ate there with some friends who live in the neighborhood on my way to the Pogues concert and I just loved it. I actually planned to write a Yelp review for it that week because I was so impressed, but never got around to it.

It was fun remembering the things we ordered and all of the things I liked about the place, then crafting all of that into a review that was long enough to be thorough without being too long for the medium. I'm guessing people on Yelp are not looking for The Tale of Genji. I was glad to see that my review had already been voted "funny" and "useful".


For my second review, I decided to choose a different category, because I mostly think of Yelp as a restaurant  review site and wanted to do something else. I picked the very cool Sid Vintage in Northampton. I mentioned the boots we got for my daughter, which we all love:

I noticed that Yelp still had the information from their old location. So I clicked the edit link and updated the location and hours. I got a dialog box that one of Yelp's moderators would verify the information then make the changes. Sure enough, a few hours later, they had the updates on the site.

Overall I found Yelp really easy to use for setting up an account and posting reviews. Standard disclaimers apply (some people have no taste, some likely are friends of the owners, others probably work for the competition, etc.), but it looks like a good resource for user-written reviews.

1 comment:

  1. Yelp are not looking for The Buying Yelp reviews Tale of Genji. I was glad to see that my review had already been voted "funny" and "useful".

    ReplyDelete